Every sign or diagnosis could be one of the many factors contributing to the illness of an individual. The graphic shows that an illness could be caused by multiple causes. For instance, depression could be caused by a variety of causes, such as inflammation. A cause such as inflammation could cause a variety of diagnoses, such as depression.
The specific manifestation of each condition is dependent on the person’s genetics as well as their environment and lifestyle. Only therapies that target the proper root cause will provide lasting benefits over symptom relief.
A medical professional typically utilizes synthetic hormones or drugs to treat diseases or dysfunction. In the case of various diseases, like diabetes, thyroid problems or high blood pressure elevated cholesterol, and so on, the typical medical approach to patient care is usually identical from patient to patient.
Your Functional Medicine physician may decide to treat you or consult an expert. Both GPs and specialists can access the same fundamental tool that includes medications. The instruction in the classic model of healthcare is to identify the disease and then match the disease to a drug that is a match.
The traditional approach to care is effective for acute illnesses, injuries, infections and other emergencies. Unfortunately, it is not able to meet the needs in treating chronic illnesses, which have a direct impact on more than one hundred million Americans.
Chronic diseases – like the digestive, allergic blood sugar regulation and neurological issues – that the majority of Americans suffer from on a regular basis and are seeking solutions in the field known as Functional Medicine.
Functional Medicine Model
The concept of functional medicine grew out of the ideas and views of a few influential thought leaders who recognized the importance of taking an individual approach to diseases that were based on research developments in the fields of nutrition science, epigenetics, genomics, and epigenetics.
They discovered ways to utilize these recent techniques in the clinic to tackle the root of the problem with low-risk therapies that alter the molecular and cellular systems to reverse the causes of disease.
The thought leaders in Functional Medicine were able to apply their new research that frequently brought remarkable outcomes to patients who previously had unsuccessful treatment.
An important part of this breakthrough was the return to the discovery of new scientific concepts. methods to identify commonalities on the cellular and system scales that cause problems across the entire organism.
When more people became attracted to learning about functional medicine, it became essential to formalize the practice to ensure that it can teach a larger range of doctors with different backgrounds.
The IFM method of applying functional medicine is implemented through a set of tools that make it easier to take a detailed history and map symptoms to types of root causes that cause the illness.
Main Principles of Functional Medicine
- Functional medicine views us all as distinct, biologically and genetically distinct. Personalized health care is geared towards the individual, not disease. It helps to support the natural health mechanisms in the body naturally instead of attacking the disease directly.
- The most recent research indicates that what we do is connected to a vast network of connections or the web. Understanding these relationships lets us gain a deeper insight into the inner workings of our bodies.
- Your body is smart and is capable of self-regulation. It manifests itself through a dynamic balance between the various body systems.
- Your body is able to heal itself and avoid illnesses that arise from aging.
- Health is more than the absence of disease but also a state of extreme vitality.