Setup VPN on Chromebook: Inexpensive Chromebooks are perfect for email, web browsing, and word processing. They were more secure than Windows devices since they ran Chrome OS.
These devices can be attacked through the internet. Using a VPN (Virtual Private Network) on your Chromebook can improve your privacy and security. A VPN can let you get around censorship and unlock geo-restricted content.
It creates an encrypted link between your Chromebook and the VPN provider’s server. Using a VPN hides your true IP from ISPs, copyright holders, and spy agencies. Setting up a VPN on a Chromebook is not simple. Learn how to set up a VPN on Chromebook.
Using a Chromebook VPN has its benefits. The user’s location is hidden, and unreliable Wi-Fi networks can’t log activity. Also, users can bypass geo-restrictions, making it easier to use services unavailable elsewhere. Read on to find out!
What is a VPN for Chromebooks?
“Virtual private network” A VPN acts as a middleman in your internet connection. It lets you to connect your device to a remote computer/server and route all web traffic through it before reaching your device. It’s like remote-controlling a computer. This hides your identity, location, and other personal information.
How to Setup a VPN on Chromebook?
How to set up a Chromebook VPN? The simplest option is to use a Chrome extension provided by your supplier. Install it, turn on the service, and you’re done.
Use an Android app if your Chromebook has access to the Play Store. Install the app on your Chromebook, configure it like a smartphone, and you’re done. Depending on your VPN service, you may run into issues with Chrome OS. The third alternative is a little trickier, so we’ve included full instructions below.
Chromebook VPN can be set up in three ways. You can pick the most convenient one.
- Using Google Play Store
- Setup using Chrome Extension
- Setup using Chromebook Manually
1: Using Google PlayStore
You can easily safeguard your Chromebook with Android VPN apps. But only Chromebook users with Google Play compatibility are eligible. If you can’t download Android apps from the Google Play Store, you need to update a few settings.
- Go to Chrome OS Settings -> About.
- Click “More”
- In the Channel options, tap Change.
- Click the Beta icon and then touch Change Channel.
- The Chrome OS beta will now be downloaded and installed on your device.
- Start Chromebook and go to Settings.
- Select “Enable Google Play Store on your Chromebook.”
- Tap Accept -> Sign in -> Fill in your Google account info.
Now you may download Android VPN apps on your Chromebook just like on Android phones. Choose a VPN with excellent security features. After choosing the finest VPN, sign up and pay for the service on the provider’s official website.
- Open Google Play.
- Find a VPN app.
- Choose the official VPN app from the search results.
- Tap Install and wait.
- Open the app with Open.
- Enter your login credentials to start protecting Chrome browser activity or app traffic.
Note: (You may not find these settings on your Chromebook if it does not support Google Play Store. Then use the Chrome Extension approach).
2: Setup Using Chrome Extension
You can use this strategy to safeguard your Chromebook if you can’t install Android VPN apps. This approach exclusively secures Chrome web traffic. Using this strategy, you must consider the following:
- Choose a VPN that supports browser extensions.
- The extension should allow you to control the VPN.
Setup VPN on Chromebook using Extension:
- Go to Chrome store with Chrome browser.
- Look for the VPN addon.
- Select Add to Chrome besides the addon you want.
- The extension will be installed in a few minutes.
- Click the VPN plugin on the taskbar.
- Easily provide login credentials and secure online traffic.
3. Setup Using Chromebook Manually
It is the last approach to setup a VPN on Chromebook. This method requires manually configuring a VPN on your Chromebook. As always, choose the finest VPN provider and pay for the premium service. For this example, we’re using ExpressVPN.
- Go to ExpressVPN’s official website and sign in.
- Go to Settings and select More Devices.
- Select manual config from the list.
- Click L2TP-IPsec.
- Copy the username, password, and list of server addresses.
- Go to the desktop and open the settings.
- Go to Network Settings and choose the Add OpenVPN/L2TP option.
- A window with the following information will now display. In that window, set up your VPN credentials:
- Server Hostname: Enter the server address copied before.
- Service Name: Name your service here.
- Group Name: Leave blank.
- Pre-Shared Key: Enter your provider’s key.
- Provider Type: Choose LT2P/IPSec + pre-shared key.
- Username: Paste your username here.
- Password: Paste the password you copied.
9. Then hit Connect.
10. The VPN panel will now appear.
These are the three techniques to set up a VPN on Chromebook. All you need to do is find a VPN provider that has superior security features. Thanks for reading and we hope it was helpful. Welcome to newsskook.com. Please leave a remark if you have any questions.