This is the recipe for Laura’s Limoncello Tartufo! My favourite dessert at Bertucci’s was Limoncello Tartufo.
A Tartufo is a vanilla ice cream ball rolled in chocolate shavings with a cherry or nut filling.
A limoncello Tartufo is a lemon ice cream ball rolled in meringue sprinkles.
Now that Bertucci’s has discontinued the sale of it, I decided to manufacture my own. I discovered a chocolate cherry Tartufo recipe online, but no limoncello – so I improvised.
I tried to make meringue cookies to crush into sprinkles, but I made them too big and never hardened. Bummer! I used smashed Nilla Wafers for meringue sprinkles to avoid Laura’s failure.
The trickiest aspect was figuring out how to make it a circle. Did I consider hollowing out a ball? Or an expensive circular mould. I was making poached eggs one morning when I discovered my beautiful, freezer-safe, mould-able half circles! Now for the limoncello tartufo recipe!
- 14 fl oz Five: Lemon
- Nilla Wafers
Lemon Filling Ingredients
- Egg yolks 4
- Cornstarch 1/3 cup
- Water 1/2 cups
- Sugar 1 1/3 cups
- Salt 1/4 tsp
- Butter 3 tbsp
- Lemon juice 1/2 cup
- Finely grated lemon zest 1 tbsp
Directions for Lemon Filling
- Set the oven rack in the middle. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Set aside egg yolks in a medium mixing dish.
- Combine cornstarch, water, sugar, and salt in a pot. Whisk well. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. 1-minute spot Remove from heat and gradually add hot mixture to egg yolks, stirring until at least half is added.
- Continue to cook over low heat, stirring regularly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and carefully mix butter, lemon juice, and zest. Pour into a casserole pan. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 1 hour before refrigerating (about 2-3 hours). Leave it overnight if you can.
How to Make Limoncello Tartufo Recipe?
- Half-fill two egg poachers with Lemon Häagen-Dazs. Assemble the ice cream into an egg poacher half circle. Refreeze in the freezer for 30 minutes (it melts quickly from your hand holding it).
- Make a melon baller out of the ice cream half circles. Fill the half-circle hole with lemon filling to match the ice cream’s flat top. Refreeze for 1 hour.
- Separate the ice cream from one of the egg poachers with a spoon and your hands. Place it on top of the remaining ice cream half circle in the egg poacher. With a spoon, seal the gap and form an ice cream ball. Refreeze for 1 hour.
- Place crushed Nilla Wafers on a cutting board or counter. Take out the ice cream ball—coat the ice cream ball with crumbled Nilla Wafers. Serve whole or cut into fourths.
- The limoncello Tartufo recipe is ready. One ball serves for 2.