Graphic designers are exposed to several websites and online sources for crafting their personalized icon set for easing the hectic process of looking for icons. An icon set is customized as per the convenience of the designer using it but the basic principles governing the process of designing an icon set remain the same. Outline, acknowledgment, and aesthetic unity are three major approaches to developing an ideal icon set. Designers consider all three of these attributes for customizing their icon set. You also study graphic design course to advance your knowledge in designing an icon set. Well, here is a simple checklist for graphic designers for designing an icon set:
- Go with the grid: You can create an icon by utilizing some breathing zones, and a general shape supporting the orientation. You can also include all the major elements for maintaining the integrity of the design and yet uphold a consistent visual weight. Designers usually go for a 32* 32-pixel grid to design their icons. Diagonally, vertically oriented icons, rectangular, circular, and any other shape can be adjusted using a pixel grid.
- Start with a simple shape: Don’t rush into intricate shapes just take it slow with simple geometric shapes like triangles, rectangular, circles, or any other geometrical representation. Try to incorporate illustrator tools to refrain from making less refined icons. Using simple shapes will help you to include the précised form of your imagination into your icon.
- Take care of angles: “Stick to 45*” is the basic rule when you design an icon. Maintaining the angles perfectly will help you to bring in the element of consistency into your design as it soothes the human eye and is highly recognized.
- Curves: Focus on your curves as it is used to differentiate between an amateur and a professional designer. Use tools that are specially designed to draw the curves of very accurate lines and shapes.
- Pixel-alignment: Work on gaining experience for building an alignment between your design and the pixel grid and it will help you to establish yourself as a skilled graphic designer. The design might appear a little fuzzy with no alignment between the lines and the overall design.
- Use details sparingly: Icons are designed to convey meaning and it should be done very carefully. A detailed icon with the right number of elements adds to the aesthetic unity of an icon set.
- Make it unique: The most important part is to incorporate your creative element in defining your icon and helps you to establish yourself as an experienced graphic designer. Don’t follow into the path of others; try to carve a new route for yourself and for the ones that are inspired by your work.
So, if you are aiming for designing an icon set then you must consider the aforementioned checklist to give it a try. Graphic designers end up developing their own customized icon set once they get a hand on the tools and a bit of practice on the practical aspect of it. So, don’t fritter away your time and give it a try.