The classic Alton brown fruitcake gets a taste boost from dried fruit, spices, and a spritz of brandy.
The goal is to dispel the Holiday Horror label. This dish contains no “candied” fruit. Please keep it that way. Getting good ingredients is half the battle. That’s 4/5 of the battle. Ingredients make a fruitcake.
- Sun-dried cranberries 1/2 cup
- Sun-dried cherries 1/2 cup
- Dried apricots, chopped 1/2 cup
- Zest of one lemon, chopped coarsely
- Sun-dried blueberries 1/2 cup
- Zest of one orange, chopped coarsely
- Gold rum 1 cup
- Candied ginger, chopped 1/4 cup
- Sugar 1 cup
- Unsalted butter (1 1/4 sticks) 5 ounces
- 4 whole cloves, ground
- Unfiltered apple juice 1 cup
- 6 allspice berries, ground
- Ground cinnamon 1 tsp
- All-purpose flour 3/4 cups
- Salt 1/2 tsp
- Baking soda 1 tsp
- Ground ginger 1 tsp
- 2 eggs
- Baking powder 1 tsp
- Toasted pecans, broken 1/4 to 1/2 cup
- Brandy for basting and/or spritzing
- Put dried fruits, zests, and candied ginger in a plastic container. Cover and macerate overnight.
On the second day, grind the spices in a coffee/spice grinder or a spice mill.
Combine spices, macerated fruit, and liquid in a big pot. Add apple juice and ginger.
Then boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Allow to cool for 15 minutes. Finish the batter or cover and chill for up to 2 days.
Oven: Center & bottom racks On the lowest rack, a half-full roasting pan of hot water. Oven 325F.
Mix the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder into the cooled fruit mixture in the saucepan. 1 egg at a time Adds the pecans.
10-inch nonstick loaf pan, 1 hour at 200°F
Brandy spritzes the top and cools it. Wrap the cake in cheesecloth and keep it in an airtight container.
Every 2–3 days, brandy the Alton brown fruitcake. In 2 weeks, the cake’s flavor and texture will improve. If you give the cake as a gift, congratulate the recipient.
Read More: What are Carolina Mustard Wings Recipe?